Degree Type:Bachelor of Education
Department:Department of Basic Education
4 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:Regular
The programme trains learners in all the courses that are taught in basic schools i.e. Ghanaian Language, English Language, Social Sciences, Life Skills and Religious Education. Areas such as Child Psychology, Child Correctional Methods as well as moral development of children are also covered. Basic Education is considered the most important aspect of education for all persons that serves as the foundation for the child.
Learners are thus equipped with skills to be able to pass on knowledge and good attitude to children. Learners are trained to acquire communication skills, human behaviour management, effective learning environment, school administration.
Requirements for Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) holders
1. six passes (A – C) in all subjects, including English Language and Mathematics; and
2. at least three (3) of the passes must be relevant to the area of specialization.
Requirements for West African Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) holders.
1. six passes (A1-C6) in all subjects, including English Language and Mathematics; and
2. must possess a minimum of C6 in any three (3) of the passes relevant to the area of specialization.
Admission requirements for Matured Applicants
1. at least, Twenty-Five (25) years old by 31st December, in the year the application is made. A copy of applicant’s birth certificate issued not less than five (5) years from the day of completing the application form should be closed with the application materials.
2. Have any one of the following:
Minimum of Senior High School of Certificate
Teacher’s Cert ‘A’
NB. Applicants who do not have credit passes in English and Mathematics at either SSSCE/WASSCE OR GCE ‘O’ Level would be required to register and pass special examinations in those subjects.
Goal / Objectives:
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will:
- develop deep affective, cognitive, technical and creative skills to teach effectively at the basic education level.
- develop advanced knowledge of teaching and learning and apply these in their professional practice.
- demonstrate ethical understanding and scholarly practice to extend professional practice through enquiry and research.
- understand the diverse range of cultural practices, safety and wellbeing, and demonstrate responsive relationship with children, families and other stakeholders.
- develop professional leadership, values and commitment to inclusion and social justice.
- develop research and problem-solving skills and be able to analyze and interpret data to inform policy, planning and practice.
Graduates of the programme can be employed as:
- Professional teachers for the Ghanaian and international market.
- School heads of first cycle education institutions.
- Supervisors of Basic Schools.
- Researchers in various organisations.
- Entrepreneurs in school establishments
- Tutors of Colleges of Education
- Proprietress of Early Childhood Centers
- Child rights advocates
EBS 499: Project Work
EFT 490: Field Experience in Teaching
EBS 402: Vectors & Mechanics
EBS 406: Integrated Science X – Light, Electricity & Motion
EBS 408: Ghana and its Foreign Relations
EBS 409: School Community Participation in Basic Education
EBS 411: Contemporary Issues in Basic Education
EBS 415: God and Morality
ENG 402: Varieties of English and Advanced Writing Skills
ENG 436K: Structure and themes in Prose fiction
FRE 420: French Syntax Analysis
GHL 412A, E & G: Cultural Studies (Advanced) (Akan, Ewe, Ga)
GHL 414 A,E & G: Linguistics of the Ghanaian Language (Morphology and Syntax)
GHL 416 A,E & G: Akan/Ewe/Ga Language Usage (Comprehension & Summary)
In-service Education for Teachers : EBS 414